In a previous posting, I wrote that God is not the author of sickness. God will not smite His children with sickness, plague, or pain for any reason. Yes, believers get sick; after all, we live in a fallen, sin-stained world. But we need to learn to discern between what is the chastisement of God and what is an attack of the enemy. Often times what saints ascribe to chastisement (e.g., “God made me sick to teach me a lesson…”) is really an attack of the enemy.
I took the liberty of pulling a number of scripturesÂ regarding healing:
- O LORD my God, I cried unto thee, and thou hast healed me. (Psalm 30:2)
- Bless the LORD, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits: Who forgiveth all thine iniquities; who healeth all thy diseases (Psalm 103:2-3)
- He sent his word, and healed them, and delivered them from their destructions. (Psalm 107:20)
- But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed. (Isaiah 53:5)
- And Jesus went about all Galilee, teaching in their synagogues, and preaching the gospel of the kingdom, and healing all manner of sickness and all manner of disease among the people. (Matthew 4:23)
- And when he had called unto him his twelve disciples, he gave them power against unclean spirits, to cast them out, and to heal all manner of sickness and all manner of disease. (Matthew 10:1)
- And the whole multitude sought to touch him: for there went virtue out of him, and healed them all. (Luke 6:19)
- Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.Â (1 Peter 2:24)
- Beloved, I wish above all things that thou mayest prosper and be in health, even as thy soul prospereth.Â (3 John 1:2)
Now, if you look at this forensically, you will conclude the preponderance of evidence points to the fact that God wants us to be healed if we are sick and to remain healthy. If you conclude that if God is the architect of sickness, then Jesus acted against the will of the Father. Heaven forbid!
Chastening, as I stated in my article COMES FROM THE WORD OF GOD for the believer. And If we do not endure the chastening of the Word of God, then we are, indeed, bastards. I wholeheartedly agree with that premise.
Sickness and affliction comes from the devil. When we veer off the path of righteousness, the Word of God chastens and puts us on the right path.
Understand, that if sickness is from God and Jesus healed them all (which means it is His desire to heal all today) then Jesus was operating outside the will of God. HEAVEN FORBID!!! No sir, Jesus said He only did what he saw the Father do (John 5:19); how many people did Jesus make sick or afflict with disease during His earthly ministry? None.
What the Holy Spirit has prompted me to teach is for the saints of God to stop saying things like, “God gave me this cancer to teach me a lesson,” or “God took my baby to draw me closer to Him.” God does not need to hurt His children to catch their attention. When I caught this revelation, it changed my life. Indeed, I have seen people healed from all manner of diseases once they experienced this liberty.
In fact, because of the fallen world we live in, I still catch the occasional symptoms of a cold but I’m able to reduce the severity and duration of the symptoms by speaking the Word of God to the root of the symptoms, thereby destroying the work of the devil!
My heart’s desire is to see the Body of Christ set free from the yoke of religion and experience full, true, relationship with the Father through Jesus; this is but a step in that direction!
© 2010 – Derrick Day (www.derrickday.com)